A massive NYPD presence in Inwood on Sunday appeared to prevent a planned “teen takeover” from materializing, but the extensive security operation also left residents navigating road closures and uncertainty.
Roughly 700 police officers were deployed along Dyckman Street, from the A train to the 1 train, on Aug. 16 in anticipation of a rumored gathering that many locals feared could descend into chaos. Officers stood behind metal barricades blocking traffic, monitored storefronts and street corners, and maintained a visible presence on subway platforms.
The heightened security was aimed at preventing violence tied to a planned “Dyckman takeover” that circulated on social media.
These viral gatherings often draw hundreds of teenagers for what begins as a party-like atmosphere but can end with property damage and violence, including shootings and stabbings. Residents said they were caught off guard by a similar event in the same area just a week earlier that left behind piles of trash and damaged vehicles. Infamously, in April, 15-year-old Jaden Pierre was fatally shot during a takeover event in Queens.

With uncertainty hanging over the neighborhood Sunday, residents carefully navigated police barricades as they went about their daily routines. Rather than criticizing the heavy police presence, several people told amNewYork they placed the blame on young people and their parents.
“What it boils down to is their parents don’t teach them, and it’s all a lack of education. That’s what it all comes down to,” Nelson said. “The internet inflames it because it gets the word out. But at the end of the day, everything starts at home. If you don’t give your kids the right education and show them the right principles, what do you expect?”
Others said news of another planned takeover left them fearful due to violence at previous gatherings.
“Unfortunately, it’s the sort of thing that just makes you afraid. That was my first reaction,” Danita Nichols said. “I think it’s just more concerning, and it really worries me because our local restaurants and establishments had to close early. One of my favorite places had to lock the doors and keep everyone out.”
Not everyone viewed the planned event so negatively, however. Nineteen-year-old Malik, of New Jersey, said he traveled to Inwood hoping to take part and film content for his social media account. He argued that the gatherings are unfairly criticized and blamed police for escalating tensions.

“It’s just for us to link up and have fun. But sometimes cops take it other ways. Kids are just looking to have fun — it was good vibes,” Malik said. “I looked at how many cops would be here, sent it to my friend, and still came.”
Jenifer Bristol, who lives in the neighborhood, said she canceled plans to spend the afternoon in the Bronx because she was worried road closures and police activity would make it difficult to get home.
“I would have more anxiety not being able to get home,” Bristol said. “I was supposed to go somewhere in the Bronx this afternoon, which technically shouldn’t be bad because I don’t have to come down here. But then I just don’t know how coming back will be. So, it has left me in limbo.”

